Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Finishing your EPP Quilt.

Almost every time that I finish a mystery, I get the question "How do we finish it?".
The reason I do not blog about it every time is that I've already blogged it before. But, just like you, I didn't want to search through my blog and find it.

On the other hand, I haven't finished a quilt for several years. I always get them pieced just enough to show the pattern, then I move on to the next. I have come to realize that I am a "designer" not a "quilter". So, frankly, I don't quilt!  Nope.

But, its not that I don't know how to. In fact, since I took a step back and re-evaluated my quilting life, I have decided that I really really want to make an effort to finish quilts from now on. That way I'll have shop samples for when every single one of you ask your local quilt shop and guilds to have me come teach a class. Yes, that is my now goal.

Now as for finishing your last mystery quilts. ACK it's got those odd edges??!! What to do???

Well, since its a table runner you can take the easy way out. You could just back it with WOOL felt (not the cheap stuff). You could whipstitch the felt to the bottom of the runner. If you wanted another layer of batting for this I'd use flannel. I like flat table runners, not fluffy. It's hard to put little candles and such on fluffy.

Another method you could do is create pieces as a border to make your quilt have a straight edge. (I know I've shown this on some blog post around here....) . Just be sure to add enough that you have seam allowance to turn under. You might want to add just trianges/diamonds to square it off, and then another small border that you can turn under. This works well.

Since I don't have sample photos this time around, I've done some YouTube looking and found these for you.

This first video shows a couple of methods to finishing hexagon quilts with the unusual edges. I REALLY like the second method she shows. I've never tried that method but its basically the same as adding the shapes only she turns them under. Nifty!




This next method is much faster and will make you machine quilters happy. Since I have to come to grips with the fact I'll never get time to hand piece AND hand quilt (at least at this point in my life), I am happy with hand piecing and machine quilting. She really does a nice job of teaching you how to deal with the pesky edges by creating a "facing".



I hope this is at least a bit helpful.

P.S. The Hillbilly is back. I had my little breather and I am ready to go! I cannot wait to get going again.

The next mystery will be announced very soon. Super excited!


2 comments: